A few years ago hard cover fiction was thought to be on the way out. It’s totally different now. They’re selling in numbers not seen in 30 years. Big books are bigger than ever.
The theory is that no child left behind killed picture books. The teachers have to devote all their time to the curriculum. They’re all teaching to the test. Fifty percent of teachers use their own money to buy books. Barnes and Noble only puts up picture books they like, or not at all. They don’t take every title.
Publishers are still interested in picture books. But they need to be smart, and focused.
- Great story telling has been around forever, and will continue. Cave paintings were our first picture books.
- Authors and illustrators need to spend 50% of their time writing, and 50% promoting.
- If everyone just writes to the trends, the vampires will win. Write what you think is cool. Entertain yourself.
- The last two years have been tough for everyone, but we’re seeing an upswing.
- Picture books are still down.
- Midgrade sales are stable.
- Teen books are all anyone talks about.
- Ebooks are great, and anyone who doesn’t think so is wrong….in my opinion.